September 21, 2011

Top 5 Tips for Working Out

I realized I haven’t posted much about my second challenge other than quick links. Here are some top tips that I’ve heard and followed that have made this second challenge so much fun!

1. Train like a guy. What this means is don’t be afraid of free weights. Don’t be afraid to lift weights, in general. Write down how many sets you did and how much weights you lifted. As you progress, you can keep track of how much stronger you’re getting. You won’t get big either. You’ll get all the results you wanted.

2. Interval training is the best. Seriously, I go out of my way to avoid running. I’ll do it because it is necessary.  However why run for 20, 30, or 45 minutes when you can get the same results in less than 20 minutes? Try this the next time you think you have to run for 30 minutes nonstop to get the results you want: sprint or run as fast as you can for 1 minute, jog for 3 minutes. Repeat. You can apply this type of logic to other exercises [I haven’t tried this with weight lifting yet so I don’t recommend it]. Also interval training for me has been intense. I get burned out in 12 minute workouts and the best part? It’s all I need.

3. Do NOT do isolation exercises. You know you’ve done it, the times you’ve hit the gym and ONLY worked on legs or arms or abs. Think about all those guys you’ve seen with monstrous arms but the rest of their body looks normal. Yes, that’s what can happen to you too. Do exercises that work multiple body parts.

4. Doing cardio everyday gives you results. My friend told me that I didn’t have to spend any time doing sit ups or anything so long as I do cardio. He told me by doing cardio and remembering to tighten up your abs, you’ll get your ab workout right there!

5. Experiment! Don’t always do the same thing over and over again. Confuse your body. This means don’t do the same lifting exercises every week, don’t do yoga everyday either. By doing different things, you’re making your body stronger and who knows, maybe you’ll find something new that you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment